Beasts of the Southern Wild

Beasts of the Southern Food

video via Fox Searchlight

“Q: What was your favorite part of working on the film?”

“Quvenzané: Whenever the seafood came.”

In the Bathtub, as with the rest of the South, food is a big deal!  Cooking and eating are as much about about community, love and celebration as sustenance.  From the crawfish boils to Hushpuppy’s name to Dwight’s being discovered as a result of running the Buttermilk Drop Bakery right across from the Court 13 production offices, food is at the core of Beasts.

image via the Amateur Gourmet

Beasts writer Lucy Alibar spoke to the Amateur Gourmet about the role that food played in both her upbringing and the film.

So you named the main character Hushpuppy. Is there anything about an actual hush puppy that speaks to her character or was it just a fun name?

“Beasts of the Southern Wild” is based on a play I wrote called “Juicy and Delicious,” following these two characters as they face the end of the known world. Hushpuppy’s dad talks about how after Hushpuppy was born, he and Hushpuppy’s mom couldn’t think of a name, so they called their baby “Big Fat Baby”. And then Hushpuppy’s mamma suggests the name “Hushpuppy”, because “a hushpuppy is a small, warm, stupid, good little thing.”

Read the whole thing here.

7 Comments

1. Rosemarie DiMatteo

I’m 60 years old and I’m here to tell you that this is the greatest, most profound film I’ve ever seen in my life. I love good movies and I’ve seen my share, but Beasts of the Southern Wild is absolutely unforgettable. A visual epic poem.

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink
  2. Lisa Gaines

This movie profoundly affected me. I can’t seem to shake the feeling that I am somehow changed by the life of one little Hushpuppy. The honesty with which it was made…none of the pretentious Hollywood trappings…just a great story, untainted actors and a magical place.

I look forward to more from Benh Z. and Nazie and Dwight.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink
  3. Crazylegs

Saw Beasts on Aug 3rd at the Tallahassee opening. We took my girlfriend’s 8-year old grandson (somewhat apprehensively), but as it turned out it was fine for him. The Aurochs (of course) impressed him the most, but was equally impressed with Hushpuppy. She was fantastic. Maybe at least a best actress Academy Awards nomination. We loved the movie—-an atypical Hollywood production which was refreshing. Lucy (and Benh) has a lot to be proud of. From the ole Village Inn on Apalachee as a waitress and Lincoln High to this——-WAY TO GO LUCY. We’re all proud of you here in Tally. By the way, I do recall your face when you were waitressing, frequenting the Village Inn from time to time, having worked close by at the Kirkman Building for too many years.

Looking forward to your next work of art.

Crazylegs in Tally

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink
  4. JJ

what is the send off or prayer said for Wink by the towns people when Hushpuppie lights the fire

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink
  5. Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and
    starting a new project in a community in
    the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.
    You have done a outstanding job!

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:35 am | Permalink
  6. Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink
  7. *Hello, Neat post. There is an issue along with your site in web explorer, could test thisЎK IE still is the marketplace leader and a huge portion of other people will miss your magnificent writing because of this problem.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink