Beasts of the Southern Wild

Meet Laura and Gus!

Dear Fellow Beasts!

You’re on this site because Beasts of the Southern Wild is more than a movie to you.  You’re not alone! To us, Beasts represents an authentic, fearless and inclusive way of filmmaking that we believe in deeply.

When people leave the theater after watching Beasts, they return from a world that’s completely fictional, but speaks about the people, places and ideas that beat in their own hearts. It speaks about home, identity, history, mythology, and survival, in a uniquely powerful and personal way.

This film was generated through the sheer force of a mighty community, one as resilient as The Bathtub itself. It needs an even bigger community to make its way out into the world and get seen. We joined the fold to make that happen.

If you want to help, Seeing the film as soon as it opens near you is great. Even better, bring others with you using our Organize Tool.

We’ve already heard from folks all over the country, including:

Bonnie Kyburz, in Provo, UT, a Professor of Rhetoric and New Media. She plans to bring her summer class to see and discuss Beasts in Salt Lake City.

Adrienne Anderson, from San Francisco, CA, Director of the International Black Women’s Film Festival. She invited her community to see the film together. A surprise visit from Beasts Producer Josh Penn made her event extra special.

Mark Goudy, a resident of Houma, LA. He attended the New Orleans Essence Music Festival and passed out Beasts flyers to promote the film coming to theaters among festival attendees.

Just use our Organize Tool to start your own event, and we’ll get in touch to make sure you have what you need.

Thanks for clicking and welcome to The Bathtub!

Laura and Gus

Beasts of the Southern Wild Outreach Coordinators

13 Comments

1. faith

This movie was amazing. It has touched my heart and mind in many ways. I marvel over Hushpuppy’s strength, envy the simplicity of life in the Bathtub and the joy and love the residents expreience. I cannot wait to see it again and again. :)

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink
  2. meme

majical…impresssive symbolisms, the people were powerful, especially Hushpuppy.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink
  3. Today someone asked me if I was excited to see the Dark Knight and I said actually I am really excited to see Beasts of the Southern Wild, this movie is simply a miracle, something divine touched the filmmakers and cast, obviously reaching out to the world with a special message. Something Cinematic truly worthy of getting excited about…

I feel like there is nothing that can stop the momentum of this movie, however I’m still glad and grateful to do my part in sharing it..

Massive congratulations to all involved

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:01 am | Permalink
  4. My partner, Tommy (Pahoo) Lewis and I saw this movie in New Orleans last Friday (7/6) and were both blown away! We are still talking about it and have relatives in the midwest driving 90 miles to see it. . . . . I think some connection to the knowledge of the family in Southern Louisiana is a plus in understanding this movie. Also, having lived in Waveland, MS., during hurricane Katrina we were intimately aware of the problem of evacuating and staying it out for a storm……luckily we evacuated because there was nothing left upon our return. The sense of community is what this movie is abort……

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Permalink
  5. Megan Roberts

A superb film. Where might one find out more about the play and process that went into creating this incredible film?

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink
  6. Kat Katter

Saw this film last night, here in Milwaukee, and I think it will live in me for a good while. Its gritty, yet ultimately uplifting artistic vision counters the sleek violence or the flat humor of so many films. This film resonates deeply with those of us who feel estranged from corporate-driven society. It points to a more basic, Earth-worthy way of being. Not polished, not safe, but true to the core.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink
  7. Earlette B B

Looking forward to seeing it in Norfolk. Great Reviews.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink
  8. Kim Locke

I saw this movie in Toronto last night and fell in love with HushPuppy’s quiet strength and the mythology of the aurochs. This movie is both beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. Thank you for bringing this story to life. I even bought the soundtrack and will be buying it when it comes out on Blu. I have told all of my friends to go see it, I might even go again with them! :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink
  9. This movie was fantastical magical and wonderful. 7 minutes in I was in tears but leaving I was empowered with a strong since of hope. Each moment of this movie was delicious and alive. I can not wait to purchase the DVD and hear all the stories behind the movie. Brava
    Monica
    VP Yoruba Records

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Permalink
  10. Randy

Simply spectacular. I had extremely high expectations and was still overwhelmed by the film’s beauty and sadness. The bar has been set for the Academy Awards. I expect Beasts to get a significant amount of attention in the coming months, attention it richly deserves. Bravo!

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink
  11. Keith Pellew

I have just seen this at the Durban International Film Festival in South Africa. I cant explain the emotional response my body has had to it but the shear joy it evokes in such hopeless circumstances cannot be expressed. Hushpuppy for an Oscar!! I couldnt stop watching her eyes!

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink
  12. Joanna

just saw it in Los Angeles, blown out of my mind, except I kind of expected to be. Epic, gorgeous, gritty, and deeply musical. One of the best film experiences of my life (I want a double bill with “Passion Fish!”)

I wish many honors and celebrations to all the creative beasts who made it happen, and YES a leading-actress Oscar for HushPuppy, don’t let anyone say a kid has to be “supporting”!!!! She rocks.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:06 am | Permalink
  13. We’re still excited about BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD here in San Francisco and hosting the opening night meetup in San Francisco on July 6, 2012, would have never been possible without the hard work and willingness of Laura to contribute her time to connect producer Josh Penn with me and my guests!

To date, over 100 people have shared that they’ve seen the film through word of mouth from the meetup event and outreach to those in San Francisco! Like the Bathtub, we’re a diverse and motley crew of benign pirates, and we’re still pushing others to see the film!

Thanks again, all, and an extra special thank you to Laura and Josh!

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink